Creating a jaw dropping brunch really isn’t as hard as it sounds. In fact, apart from doing a small shop and roughly chopping a couple of ingredients it’s incredibly little graft! No expertise needed but trust me you will quickly become a platter pro......
Brunch for 8 people
What you need....
- 1lb Smoked Salmon (freeze anything leftover)
- 3 Avocados
- 2 Cucumbers
- 3 Lemons
- Bunch Cives
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Jar Capers
- 1 Jar pickles
- 1 Packet Radishes
- Cherry Tomatoes on the vine
- Natural yogurt
- An assortment of breads & crackers
The idea is to lay everything out on a platter that can be put in the middle of a table for everyone to enjoy. If you don’t have a large platter/flat tray suitable for this I recommend laying out a couple of large pieces of grease proof paper in the centre of your dining table and laying the food straight down.....talk about no washing up!
- Get the prep done....quarter the lemons, slice a few of the radishes and leave a few whole. Slice the cucumber into round discs. Wash and dry the tomatoes. Cut the avocado into quarters around the stone but leave attached to the stone to stop it browning before serving.
- Empty the yogurt into a bowl add a handful of chopped chives, 3 tbsps of chopped cucumber followed by a good grind of pepper and 1/2 Tsp sea salt. Divide it between two small serving bowls.
- Divide the capers and pickles between a few ramekins. Slice the onion finely and place in 2 ramekins, pour over tbsp of apple cider vinegar, so delicious ever so slightly pickled.
- Remove the salmon from the fridge. I normally use disposable gloves for this. Tear the salmon into long slices and place down in little ribboned heaps onto the platter. I’d make two salmon patches and each end of the platter so everyone can reach one.
- Now it’s just a matter of laying everything down around the salmon. The more random everything is the prettier it will look! The only rule of thumb is that everyone should be able to reach a little bit of everything.
Remember the sky is your limit....add peeled halved soft boiled eggs, quartered baby gem lettuce, cheeses, grapes, loads of Crudités!