Serves 2 as a main or 4 as a salad
- 385g Butternut Squash, sliced chunky or roughly cubed
- 2 Tbsp Ground Coriander
- 1 Tsp Ground Allspice
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Blk Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 375g Pearled Spelt
- 1 Tbsp Olive oil
- 1 Clove Garlic, Grated
- 1 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1 clove raw garlic (bashed to a paste in a pestle and mortar)
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 Tbsp water, or more for consistency
- Toasted Pinenuts
- Pomegranate seeds
- Preheat the oven to 200c. Put the cut butternut in a zip lock bag, add in all the spices and olive oil, zip closed and give a good shake.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper pour on the butternut and place in the oven. Cook for 40 minutes without turning. When cooked removed from oven and set aside.
- In the meantime add 1 tbsp of olive oil to a large pan. Add in the clove of grated garlic and tsp of salt. turn the heat down to medium and stir for 2 minutes until lightly golden.
- Rinse the spelt the pour into the garlic oil. Cook the spelt according to packet instructions (i always find it takes 1 or 2 minutes longer than suggested)
- Make the Tahina. Add all ingredients to a jar and shake vigorously. The dressing will be much too thick so add a tbsp of the water and shake. Repeat until you reach the desired consistency (it should be just about pourable). if you make it too thin add in another tsp of tahini to thicken it.
- Assemble the salad by pouring the spelt on a large plate make a well in the centre for the butternut squash, add the squash. Pour over the tahini and sprinkle with chopped parsley. Finish off with a grind of pepper. Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds and pine nuts
Note: You can make the tahini green my adding in a handful of parsley and blending with a stick blender.
Leave a comment